Director of Visitor Experience
Dallas Heritage Village is an immersive history museum, located in the rapidly redeveloping Cedars neighborhood. DHV welcomes a diverse audience of schools, local families and tourists. Our vision is to be a place to make history in the heart of the Cedars neighborhood.
Creating a welcoming and informative visitor experience is the most important thing that Dallas Heritage Village does. We believe that as a small institution in a large metropolitan area, we can make history personal for our visitors and help create a community through the museum. The Director of Visitor Experience is responsible for creating a welcoming environment for visitors through the creation, maintenance, and execution of educational and public programming. The DVE supervises all frontline staff and volunteers to ensure excellent visitor engagement and education. In addition, the DVE also works in close collaboration with all DHV staff to ensure the smooth operation of the Museum and to fulfill its educational mission.
This position requires strong leadership and people skills. The DVE must lead by example, embrace and develop a collaborative environment, and be willing to invest in a diverse team of direct reports to help them achieve their full potential. Creativity, flexibility and curiosity about our past are also crucial skills.
DHV is currently in a time of transition, and there will be ample opportunities to shape this department in the future.
- Recruit, train and supervise all front-line staff and volunteers, acting as a guide and resource to help them create experiences that are engaging, enriching, authentic and relevant for our visitors.
- Direct and assist in creation of experiences and activities during special events, as well as “everyday” activities. This position will also play a key role in an interpretation changes or exhibit updates.
- Oversee early childhood play-space, The Parlor, including programming and staffing.
- Manage and maintain school partnerships and the school tour program.
- Manage museum store inventory, including selecting items that further DHV’s mission.
- Manage all data related to visitors, including attendance reports, evaluations, and city reports.
This is a full-time position, 37.5 hours, with benefits. Some weekend hours required. Salary range: $35,000-$39,000.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is open until filled.